For the longest time, I absolutely hated anything curry flavored. I despised the taste of curry powers, etc. and avoided it at all costs. Flash forward to now and what do you know – my palette matured and I love a good, creamy curry. This love came about from trying a lot of Thai food and truly growing a love for all of its flavors and ingredients. My favorite Thai dish that I consume whenever it is found on a menu is Thai Coconut Soup. It is extremely creamy and filled with a variety of comforting flavorings. It was only time until I made my own to enjoy at home!
One of the first ingredients you will use in my recipe is lemongrass. This is not an item you want to skip as it adds a wonderful acidic note to the dish. You can find lemongrass in your produce section or packaged in the international section of your grocery store. Fresh is always better, but no stress if you cannot find it in your product section. The next aromatic ingredient you will use is minced ginger and this is one of my favorite parts of the soup. It pairs great with the creamy coconut milk, chicken broth, shiitake mushrooms, and kale, making this the perfectly satisfying soup. And of course, you can’t forget the red curry paste!
I decided to add in Nature’s Greens Organic Kale Greens into the Thai Coconut Soup as they add additional vitamins and nutrients. I love Nature’s Greens triple washed greens and they really added a nice additional layer to the dish.
Are you vegan or vegetarian? Or do you want more protein?
No worries here; you can hold the fish sauce and add more coconut aminos. You can also swap the chicken broth for veggie broth. To make this meal more filling, I will sometimes poach two chicken breasts and add them to the finished soup. In order to poach chicken breasts, you will put two defrosted breasts into a pot and cover with water and seasonings of your choice. Bring the water to a boil and once boiling, put the heat down to low and let simmer for around 13-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Once completed, take two forks and shred apart the chicken.
Thai Coconut Soup with Greens (Df, Gf, Paleo, Whole30)
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped lemongrass
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 cups chicken or veggie broth
- 3 cans coconut milk full fat
- 2 1/2 tsp coconut aminos 4 tbsp if skipping fish sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce omit if vegan/vegetarian
- 1 package shiitake mushrooms
- salt to taste
- 2 handfuls Nature's Greens Organic Kale Greens
- 2 limes, juiced
- optional: cilantro, limes, poached chicken
- Heat up the avocado oil in a soup pot on medium
heat for about a minute. Add the chopped lemongrass, minced ginger and the red curry paste to the pot and saute in the oil until translucent.
- Add in the broth, kale, fish sauce, and coconut aminos and let everything simmer for around 10-15 minutes. Make sure to stir consistently.
- Add in the coconut milk and the shiitake mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are soft. This should take around five minutes.
- If you are adding in poached chicken, do so at this point. Instructions on this are above.
- Add in the juice of two limes and the salt to taste. I highly recommend adding cilantro for garnish as well! Serve & enjoy.
If you decide to make this deliciously cozy Thai Coconut Soup, please tag me on Instagram at @matcha_and_margs. I greatly appreciate the support you all give me and I would love to send the love right back. This post has been sponsored by Nature’s Greens, but all opinions are wholeheartedly my own. I am extremely proud to partner with a brand that I have been supporting for many years now!
Happy cooking, friends!