‘Tis the season for ALL of the soups! I could eat soups year round, but there is definitely something special about eating them in the winter. I cannot get enough of them; they are the coziest and you can add in all of the nutrients and vegetables without compromising the taste. If you know me you know I am not a huge salad girl, so soups and stews are one of my favorite way to get my greens in. One of my top soups that I’ve made this season is my chicken sausage noodle soup.
This chicken sausage noodle soup has lots of veggies and some amazing Mustard Greens from Nature’s Greens. I really love and appreciate all of their pre-washed, farm fresh greens. The Mustard Greens specifically add the perfect peppery taste to the soup and beyond! They would be great sauteed with ghee or butter as a hearty side, and I love the idea of adding them to a pesto or chimichurri for steaks. Kale would be a great substitute for the mustard greens if you cannot find them near you.
Chances are I’m enjoying a soup with a slice of bread, crackers, etc. on the side, but this one adds in pasta which is the perfect addition of a carbohydrate. It also contains butternut squash, so you are bound not to leave the bowl feeling hungry. You can skip the pasta and use butternut squash noodles by making them with a spiralizer or buying them pre-cut at the store. This will keep the dish in the spirit of a traditional noodle soup. I’ve made the soup both ways and enjoy each version equally! I love making a big batch and having it for meals throughout the week; it stays good for about five days in the fridge.
Let me know if you decide to make it and I would absolutely love to hear what you think! If you remake on Instagram, remember to tag me at @matcha_and_margs so I can send the love and support right back. Enjoy!
Chicken Sausage Noodle Soup with Greens (Gf, Df)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb chicken sausage
- 1 zucchini
- 1 cup mustard greens I used Nature’s Greens brand, can sub for kale
- 1 cup butternut squash can spiralize and omit the pasta below!
- 1 package pasta I used Banza chickpea pasta shells
- 1/2 cup leeks
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp pink salt more or less to taste depending on the sodium content of your broth
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Add the avocado oil to a stock pot and bring to medium heat.
- Add the leeks, celery, and minced garlic to the pot and saute until translucent.
- Add the chicken sausage, chopped zucchini, and butternut squash cubes (or spirals) and saute until the chicken is cooked through entirely.
- Add in the chicken broth, the pasta (if using), oregano, salt, mustard greens and bay leaves. Bring the pot to a boil and then let simmer until the butternut squash is tender.
- Serve and enjoy! It pairs well with parmesan (vegan or regular) on top.
If you want to add the vegan parmesan on top, you can find my recipe linked here!
This post has been sponsored by Nature Greens, but all of the opinions and reviews are wholeheartedly my own!