One of my favorite parts about collaborating with companies is being a part of campaigns that push me to step out of my cooking comfort zone — and this has to be one of my favorite creations from just that! This creamy risotto made with Bob’s Red Mill farro pairs absolutely perfectly with the
Valley Fig Growers figs and the salty pistachios. It is not dairy free being that it contains ghee, but it could be made vegan by using vegan butter. If you are gluten free, you can sub the farro for rice. The dish is great to prepare for the week when you’re in a pinch for lunches and dinner, and would pair great with salmon or chicken. I also enjoy adding arugula – the possibilities are really endless.
The recipe calls for parmesan and I have an awesome recipe for vegan parmesan on my site which you can find here.
Let me know if you decide to make it and I would absolutely love to hear what you think! If you remake on Instagram, remember to tag me at @matcha_and_margs so I can send the love and support right back. Enjoy!
Creamy California Fig and Farro Risotto
- 1 cup farro I used Bob’s Red Mill; soaked and rinsed
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp ghee I used Fourth & Heart
- 1/2 tsp pink salt more or less to taste depending on sodium content in broth
- 1/2 cup yellow onions chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped dried figs I used Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 cup dairy free parmesan can use regular as well; recipe for my DF parm is linked above!
- Soak the cup of farro for 30 minutes in water, rinse and pat dry. You can also buy pre-soaked farro to skip this step.
- Bring a saute pan to medium heat with the avocado oil in it and saute the onions and minced garlic until translucent.
- Add in the farro and 1 cup of vegetable broth. Bring it to a boil, while making sure to stir continuously until the broth is absorbed by the farro. Continue this step 5 times; by the end you will have added five cups of broth to the farro.
- Once the farro is cooked, add in the ghee and the salt to taste. Make sure you take note of how much sodium is in your broth and add the salt accordingly! I like to buy low sodium broths so I can add the salt myself.
- Stir in the chopped figs, the pistachios, and 1/4 cup of parmesan or vegan parmesan and enjoy!