Having a dairy intolerance really has not been as hard as I would have ever imagined! There are so many substitutes for cheese out there that I really do enjoy. Some of my favorites are:
– Kite Hill (cream cheese and ricotta; found at Whole Foods, Sprouts, and Publix)
– Miyoko’s (mozzarella; found at Whole Foods and Sprouts)
– Parmela Creamery (shredded cheese and cheese slices; found at Whole Foods)
– Pure Abundance probiotic cashew cheese (found only in Atlanta)
Although I have found some substitutes that I absolutely love, I haven’t come across a good dairy free parmesan without lots of funky ingredients and fillers. Which is why I came up with a recipe for my own – and it could not be easier! The base of it is blanched almonds which I have found come out better in this recipe than regular almonds. All you need is five minutes and a food processor and you’re set! It lasts for a couple weeks in the fridge in a sealed container.
Let me know if you decide to make it and I would absolutely love to hear what you think! If you remake on Instagram, remember to tag me at @matcha_and_margs so I can send the love and support right back. Enjoy!
Dairy Free Parmesan
- 1 cup blanched almonds
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp pink salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Put all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until it turns into grainy, parmesan-like pieces. Stays good in the fridge for a couple weeks. Enjoy!